Welcome to the FenceFast Gallagher Store
Gallagher electric fencing systems offer a wide range of fencing options for all animal types, from lifestylers through to professional, full-time ranchers and farmers.View Products
5 Key factors that will help you maximize your electric fencing system.
Dedicating 45 years to the fencing industry isn't a career – it's a passion. For Merle Mohr, the decades spent working on behalf of Gallagher and focusing on its quality and dependable products have taught him a thing or two about electric fencing. Merle Mohr provides 5 key factors to maximizing your electric fence system below:
1. Select the right energizer
Choosing the appropriate energizer for your individual property and electric fence needs is the first step to a successful electric fence system. "Talk to a Gallagher representative about your objectives to ensure you're getting the proper amount of joules to maximize your cost and energy efficiency," says Mohr.
2. Be flexible with the wire
Give your wire a little flexibility and it won't give you a worry, says Mohr. "This isn't barbed wire, the line doesn't need to be super taut to be effective," he explains. "Adding some flex in the wire allows for curious wildlife on your property as well as unpredictable changes in weather. You can always go back and tighten the line during the summer dry months if needed."
3. Use good insulators
While constructing a new fence system, some consumers staple the high tensile wire directly to the fence – which works great if the post is dry and will remain dry, says Mohr.
"Unfortunately, most climates offer varying degrees of moisture – whether rain or snow, or often times – both," says Mohr. "Select and use a good, quality insulator and you won't be shorting out during weather storms or compromising your overall fence system."
4. Monitor the spacing of the posts
Mohr's rule of thumb is to plan for approximately 50-60 feet apart with a stay in between each post.
"Anything less is going to be too close, won't give and wildlife is going to run right through the line," says Mohr. "Not only is this a more efficient fence strategy, it's also a more cost-effective strategy as you're using – and purchasing – fewer posts."
5. Develop a proper grounding system
Most people don't put too much thought in to their grounding system, Mohr says. "But they should. Approximately 80% of all power fence problems stem from inadequate grounding. The ground posts help maximize the overall electrical efficiency of your entire fence system," he explains.
Mohr recommends at least three grounding posts made of galvanized steel.
A quicker and easier all in one instant fence system, The Smart Fence redefines portable fencing
The Smart Fence is a 4-wire completely portable, instant electric fence that is easy to set up. Does not come with an energizer. It can be used for blocking broken fences, temporary paddocks, orchard graing, hay bale protection and is perfect for use temporary fencing at horse, sheep and other livestock shows.
- Quick and easy to put up and take down. Four wires, ten posts and 100m (330ft) length provides an optimal, easy to install instant electric fencing solution
- The height of the top wire is 107cm/42 inches (including post's metal tread-in spike) - or 90 cm/35 and a half inches from the foot of the post
- Easy to carry and store away. The Smart Fence combines posts, reels and wire all in one easily transportable package
- The four wire system ensures highly effective, safe animal control
- Can be used on all types of terrain - works just as well on rolling contour as it does in a flat paddock
- The Smart Fence has a variety of uses, including:
- Create a temporary paddock within a larger paddock for a specific number of drafted animals
- Divide paddocks for more efficient grazing
- Graze animals in non-fenced areas
- Provide a safer roadside grazing option versus a single wire fence
- Deliver easy and fast fencing for remote grazing areas
- Quick fix patch-up option for problem areas on permanent fences
- Fence off silage bale stacks
- Compatible with Gallagher energizers
Warranty 1 year Height 900mm/ 35.4" Width or Length 100m/ 330' Product Weight 16 lbs